Thursday, July 1, 2010

Now We're Cookin' with Gas!

The other night Jeremy made this great teardrop template. He designed it with a 5x10 trailer in mind. It's all scaled out - each square represents a 3in x 3in area. In case you're wondering, its a roof rack, not antennae :)

Yesterday inspiration hit and I printed out one of the templates (we scanned it for just that purpose). The night before we were talking about putting a big, graphic wave on each side but couldn't get the proportions right. I think it was because we had the wave moving towards the back of the trailer, not in the direction the trailer would be moving, cruising down the highway. So I redrew the wave in the other direction. This is what I came up with. Jeremy was very happy.

The Tear looked great until I colored it with Crayons - boooo. So I brought the template into work and - at lunch - digitized it with my GIS software. The template is now fully interactive! I found paint samples similar to the finish we'd like to have online at Iron Mountain Wood. The colors are clear acrylic for the trailer and Monet blue for the wave. We were going to go with a white pickling stain on the trailer but, since that would come out with a somewhat blue tint, I figured the 2 shades of blue wouldn't contrast enough and clear coating it might be a better option.

Of course, you have to have Yakima racks on top. I grew up in a Yakima family so I've got loyalties - plus, I already have a ridiculous kayak set-up. You can't let that go to waste!Now I know this is only the first template creation but I'm pretty hooked. I can see all my decorating ideas falling into place. Muahahaha!

TOMT_sig

2 comments:

  1. are you building it all from scratch?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! I'm so excited. And apparently you're building a house?? ROCK.

    ReplyDelete