Saturday, July 3, 2010

Designing the Frame

We have had an adventure trying to find a trailer that would be suitable for our needs. Everything we have seen has had rails around it, and I cannot justify paying $750.00 for a new trailer and immediately cutting it up. Plus they are only made with L-shaped steel and I think cutting the rails off would undermine the structural integrity. I have been searching through other teardrop project blogs and came across Ken and Noel's Blog, and I am going to completely gank their design. These are pictures of their project.


They have many of the same concerns that we have with the size of typical teardrops, they are usually 4x8 feet. To accomodate a queen mattress it would have to be at least 5 feet wide, and to give the puppy a place to sleep that is not on the bed, we need a couple of extra feet in length, so we are stretching the dimensions to 5x10 feet. They had this frame constructed of tubular steel, with everything needed and nothing extra, for $650.00.


I returned to Wellers Trailers during business hours and the nice salesman said he could order anything we want. I did not have a design or pictures in hand but from my description he seemed to think around $600.00 would do it. So I drew this design, and I will take it and the pictures to him to get a quote. Let's cross our fingers he doesn't say $1200.00!

1 comment: