Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Race is On

Finally started! This weekend Katie helped assemble four sawhorses to hold the plywood. Yesterday I drew out the design on the top sheet, and today I made the first cuts.


These plywood sheets are really heavy so we sorted and stacked them in the order we are going to finish them. The top sheet will be for the trim on the starboard side of the tear drop. Because I'll only be using a two inch strip around the edge I used it to lay out the design and locate the door. All the pencil marks will not matter on this one. The blue tape is to help prevent fraying along the edge of the cut, which worked OK, but not as well as I had hoped.


I clamped the first two sheet together and cut them at the same time. After they were cut I used a belt sander to smooth the curves. By doing this, it ensures that the trim piece will fit perfectly to the side piece. The next step will be to take the measurements that will allow me to replicate the design and the door location. Then I will cut the inner profile of the trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment